The Living Wage Friendly Funder Scheme
Living Wage Friendly Funders support charities to pay the real Living Wage that meets the cost of living through their grant-making.
We hope to work together to end low pay in the voluntary and community sector.
The Living Wage Friendly Funder scheme has been funded by People’s Health Trust and developed in collaboration with a range of funders including the People’s Health Trust, Trust for London, Barrow Cadbury, the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and Comic Relief.
Hundreds of charities and funders have already embraced the Living Wage, but low pay remains a real challenge for the sector.
We want to see the real Living Wage become the norm in every sector, and we want the voluntary sector to lead the way by putting our values into practice and using our influence for good.
The Friendly Funder Framework
Living Wage Friendly Funders agree to three sequential core principles:
Become an accredited Living Wage employer with the Living Wage Foundation. You can find out more about this and start the process here.
Pay the independently-calculated Living Wage rates to grant funded posts or be demonstrably working towards paying this over a period of time agreed with the Living Wage Foundation.
Living Wage Friendly Funders seek to ensure that all posts which are wholly or partially funded by the funder pay the Living Wage, unless there are particular reasons for this not to happen (these might include difficulties in maintaining differentials, and the impact on other posts within the grantee’s workforce – there is more information in our FAQs).
Support grantees to become Living Wage employers by signposting them towards:
- The Living Wage Foundation
- Other Living Wage Friendly Funders
- Other Living Wage VCS organisations in their area
By becoming a Living Wage Friendly Funder you…
- Get access to guidance on applying the Living Wage to grant-funded posts, including templates and case studies.
- Become part of a strategic community of funders that support and promote the Living Wage, contributing to ending low pay in the third sector.
- Are entitled to use the Living Wage Friendly Funder Mark.
- Appear on our website so that supporters and grantees can easily find out about the commitment you have made.
- Have the opportunity to work with us on press coverage to promote your Friendly Funder recognition.
- Receive an invitation to events during Living Wage Week and a pack with materials and guidance on how to be part of the national celebrations.
- Are kept up to date on the Living Wage campaign and opportunities to celebrate your recognition.
To find out more please see our guide and FAQs.
If you are interested in signing up then the first step is to become an accredited Living Wage Employer. If your organisation is already accredited please contact your Programme Manager at the Foundation to find out more.